[pct-l] trail runners vs. hikers?

Well, what a great way to get involved with a new list.  As both a
thru-hiker (AT,  long trail,  sectioning NCT)  and an ultra runner I have
pretty strong opinions about both.  I guess the things that stands out most
to me is how much alike they are.  both are dealing with calorie
deprevation, dehydration and that nagging question "why am I doing this to
myself?".   They both have their own enviromental impacts,  but share many
rewards.  I don't know a single ultra - runner who is just there for the
run.  They are just as much there for the scenery and the sheer joy of the
outdoors as hikers.  I also know no race organizer who could be profiting
from the headache that is involved in organizing one of these races.  I
guess it goes back "let he who is without sin cast the first stone"  that
doesn't mean that I'm going to let every just trod on my beautiful outdoors
but it does mean that I'm really going to take a look at the facts before I
throw away a potential wilderness ally.