Re: [pct-l] Trail running, density of use

You did not read my post very well: I specifically said that I was hiking
the Angeles Crest in EARLY JUNE, ON A WARM SUNDAY.  You are right that I
was on the Angeles crest earlier, actually in April, but in this later date
I was filling in the gap to Islip Saddle and past Baden Powell.  In those
two days in June that I was on the Angeles Crest (a saturday and Sunday in
wonderful June weather

---------
> From: Bighummel@aol.com
> To: goforth@cio.net; PCT-L@backcountry.net
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] Trail running, density of use
> Date: Monday, October 16, 2000 11:00 PM
>
> Of course you were the sole person on the PCT on the Angeles Crest in
May.
> Wait about two to three weeks after this and there will be a freeway of
> people trekking, running, ambling towards Baden Powell and other points.

You did not read my post very well: I specifically said that I was hiking
the Angeles Crest in EARLY JUNE, ON A WARM SUNDAY.  You are right that I
was on the Angeles crest earlier, actually in April, but in this later date
I was filling in the gap to Islip Saddle and past Baden Powell.  In those
two days in June that I was on the Angeles Crest (a saturday and Sunday in
wonderful June weather), there were no"freeway of people" as you believe,
in fact there was practically nobody at all.(there were lots of cars on the
road)  I suggest that you find out for yourself next June.  I find a denial
of my observations, coupled  perhaps with an unwillingness to believe the
density of use is minimal in certain areas or at certain times , rather
disturbing. If the need to "protect" the wilderness is necessary, then it
should be based on reality, not on a fabled view of what we want or believe
to be true.

But you do concede that  I could have been the sole person near Baden
Powell in May.  Interesting! I do not know what it is like there in May, I
was not there.  I actually saw 1 more person in April than June ( I am not
counting the people I saw on the road, or in the parking lots or
campgrounds, only the people that were actually on the trail. I also
excluded the 3 thruhikers that I was leapfrogging with in JUne as well )

> Most thru-hikers pass through Southern California and the Sierra's way
before
> the summer crowds come out.  So don't judge the overall density of use of
the
> trail from your experiences thru-hiking.

I never talked about overall density of use ,I talked about the densities I
saw during my hike:  From Sierra City North in July and August to Crater
Lake, I rarely saw hikers other than thruhikers.  I saw a lot of hunters in
SeptEmber or October but WITHOUT EXCEPTION, they were within 5 miles of
roads or trailheads.  I was hiking in Washington from the 5th of September
on, and I saw more hikers by far in Washington than any other state or
area.

Goforth