[pct-l] Organized Trail Running Races on the PCT

FOR ALL OF YOU LOOKING FOR EQUIPMENT DISCUSSIONS, IGNORE THIS AND DELETE.
However, if you are into "touchy-feely" read on.

Brick,

I was going to reply to this message and have been sidetracked.
Before you sent a copy to the list I was going to say that I appreciate that
you didn't take this onto the list, however, I guess that you chose to air
our discussion for the list's benefit.  I'm not sure that it is of wide
interest.

Specific replies:

<< Synopsis of your post:
 ==
 People who share my vision are right and are on "my side."
 People who don't are wrong and are on the "other side."
 Consensus building be damned, let the PCT infighting begin
 ==>>

Please don't make assumptions on my arrogance!  I don't believe that the
words "right" or "wrong" were ever mentioned in my post.  I believe that I
used appropriate caveats and I object to you taking my opinions to an extreme
point of view.  I am stating my opinions with supporting logic and suggested
allocation of resources for myself and those with similar viewpoints.  I am
not saying that you cannot value the PCT highly and be a trail runner.

< Is attempting to win every battle worth losing the war?>

Is winning the war worth losing all of the little battles therein losing the
value of the trail?

< And the trail racers?>

I have stated pretty clearly that I am not against trail running.  I just
don't believe that an escalation of the trail races will be a good thing for
the PCT.  If I am alienating anyone it is the trail race organizers and I
don't believe that this is a large group either.

<Can you so casually discard potential allies so easily?>

I am extremely careful and sensitive to who my bed fellows are. I'd rather
not go to the table arguing for greater authority in protecting the PCT with
an ally like the horse packers that clearly value business interests over
preservation interests.  Sure, they value the PCT as it is the lifeblood of
their business.  However, their business interests blind them to the
degradation they cause.  Trail Race organizers, I presume (don't jump on me
for this assumption, note caveats), may have similar blinders, even though
they require trail maintenance and after-race clean-up.  This is the same
argument that horse packers use.  They say they contribute more to trail
maintenance by hauling materials into the backcountry.  So, is it okay to do
a little degradation if you clean up after yourself and make amends elsewhere
at another time?

As for the argument (not yours) that horses opened the wilderness for man and
are an integral part of their history carries no weight with me.  So did the
locomotive, so should we allow locomotives into the wilderness now?  So did
foul belching, early automobiles but we now are smart enough to build them
cleaner and even so don't allow them offroad in the wildernesses because of
the DAMAGE they do.

 > I draw the line here and wont back off.<

 <Really? when was the last time you did trail work on the PCT?>

Actually, none!  I would like to have the time and intend to, when my family
life affords it.  In the mean time, while I am raising 5 children, I do what
I can to PROTECT the PCT and teach my children these values.  When they are
old enough they will join me to do trail work.

I have made numerous contributions to: the Golden Spike Ceremony (signage),
to the PCTA, to the ADZPCTKO, to individual thru-hikers from overseas, etc.,
etc.  I also am writing and having similar discussions as this with my
Congressman, Jim Miller, my State Senator Richard Mountjoy and my State
Assemblyman Bob Pacheco.  DAMN, I don't see why I have to have any
qualifications to take a stand on protecting the PCT nor why I have to answer
to you!  Are qualifications required?  Gee, I didn't see anything on this at
the list signup sheet!

<You oppose trail races in the name of Clinton C. Clarke, but you have never
 actually been to a trail race, have you?>

I have never been horseback riding in wilderness areas either, is this
required for me to take a position?  And what does having been to a trail
race have to do with taking a position in the name of CCC?

< HOW DARE YOU dictate to me what "the spirit of the trail" is. You have no
 right to do so.>

Number one, I didn't "dictate" anything to you, I merely suggested that it
seems contrary.  Number two, there is quite a difference between "spirit" and
"law".  Spirit includes the lawful uses and incorporates a host of other
societal interests.  I only suggested the direction of this spirit. Number
three, I don't particularly like the tone of "HOW DARE YOU" and wonder why
this has elicited this level of response.

<Anything else is just your personal opinion and is valid for YOU and YOU
ALONE.>

Uh, I believe that I qualified the entire post as in my humble opinion.  As
to the scope of validity, I am suggesting to the PCTA board that this is a
valid opinion and should be seriously considered since they appear to have
the greatest voice in the eyes of the authorities (Congress).

Brick, I'm sorry that you don't agree with me on where to draw the line here.
 I recognize and respect the wealth of long distance hiking and racing
experience and that you bring to the discussion.  You'll notice in this
message that my primary sensitivity is in wilderness areas on the PCT.  You
have indicated recently that this isn't where any races have been held, but
then you didn't limit the discussion to only areas outside of wilderness
areas on the PCT and so, please take my position to be focused upon
wilderness area protection first and other areas second.

All of the voices on the list on this issue should be heard, supporting
material reviewed and decisions made by the PCTA board as to their position.

Sincerely,

Greg "Strider" Hummel