Re: [pct-l] If there were no horses...

At 09:26 AM 10/12/00 , Bighummel@aol.com wrote:
>On private use, just because there are few of them doesn't excuse the damage
>that they do.

OK. I see your philosophical point, but to a certain extent, ANY use of the
backcountry causes some disruption. You could just as easily argue that
hikers should be kept out too.

My question is:  do you expend limited resources fighting a small damage
problem, or a big one?

Especially when "I am against overuse of public resources by commercial
enterprises" will fly a lot better than "I am against horses on trails."

I think you could get the Backcountry Horsemen to support the first
statement, but the second will do nothing but fracture the user group even
more.

We PCT lovers seem to spend sooooo much energy fighting over relatively
small stuff (which is all within the broad scope of legal uses of the
trail) , while houses and ski lifts are being built on the trail, huge
sections are being clearcut, and OHVs destroy miles of trail.

Strider, go ahead splinter the user group by objecting to runners and
horses. You are really just hurting the trail in the long run.

All IMHO.
Brick