[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #1278

Thats so funny...trail of death.  I had all those
fears (and more) upon our preparation (hadn't ever
hiked before)...it's amazing what I was willing to
jettison after that first day on the trail!  First to
go: a bottle of lotion...can you believe???  "soft
hands" were the LEAST of my concerns!  Also reminds me
of all our (non-hiker) family and friends upon our
leaving...they were astounded that we weren't taking
cell phone, weapons (for protection), etc.  Some "well
meaning suggestions" I received ranged from Avon
products to snake repellant.  Actually, the snake
repellant was my request!  Makes me laugh now!  I was
on this post picking everyones brain trying to
determine what I'd need...Jenny (of the couple which
just completed) was the biggest help...and looking
back, I can see why she just said to not worry so much
we'd figure it out along the way".  Thank you Jenny!!!
 No matter how stupid my many queries were, she
approached them respectfully.  Even though we didn't
finish, it turned out to be my fears and boredom I
could no longer endure...I am still glad I did what I
did, I have no regrets.
--- pct-l-digest
<owner-pct-l-digest@majordomo.hack.net> wrote:

> pct-l-digest         Sunday, October 8 2000
> Volume 01 : Number 1278
>

> In this issue:
>
>     Re: [pct-l] Racing on the PCT
>     [pct-l] Re: Snowpeak stuff
>     [pct-l] Re: PCT racing
>     [pct-l] Deadly trails of America
>     [pct-l] re: The PCT in Manning
>     [pct-l] re:Equipment costs
>     Re: [pct-l] Racing on the PCT? Input requested..
>     [pct-l] Elementary Sleeping Bag Question
>     Re: [pct-l] Deadly trails of America
>     [pct-l] Point Please
>     [pct-l] yo-yos
>     [pct-l] PCT Thru-hike for Diabetes...

> Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 19:29:49 EDT
> From: CharlieJones@aol.com
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] Racing on the PCT

> Daylight Time,
> tom-rogers@home.com writes:
>
> << People racing on the PCT -- Good thing
> Horsemen racing on the PCT -- Bad thing
>
> Consider the impact of a medium sized pack train
> moving at a moderate pace,
> then multiply that by, pick a number, to estimate
> the impact of lots of
> individual competitive horsemen/women trying to get
> from point A to point B
> in a hurry. >>
>
> I have to agree with Tom ... horsemen/women racing
> on the PCT = a bad thing.
>
> During my summer hiking in northern CA and southern
> OR this year, we had the
> opportunity to follow two ladies with pack animals
> (4 horses total) over a
[ *** too many quoted lines.  automatically truncated *** ]