Re: [pct-l] Thru-hiking strategies

In a message Spirit Eagle writes:

<< We're looking forward to the beauty of Washington and another four weeks
of
 hiking.  We're weary, but still enjoying the life and not in a hurry to
finish. >>

Thus is the spirit of those that don't rush through at 30+ miles per day.  I
enjoyed Brian's strategy comments and think that most are right on target
with today's lighter weight components.  However, I have to take issue with
the inference that to be slow and behind the pack is to be "out of it".  Note
that if all of the trail news flows backward and nearly none forward that
those behind, in fact, get to enjoy the tales and messages and conversations
of all of those that have gone ahead, and conversely, those that lead the
pack have no such luxury and trudge ahead at their hurried pace in silence
with little or no knowledge of the comraderie behind.  Don't be drawn into
the race, this is not a race, it is an adventure to relish for a lifetime of
memories.  Even the supposed low points come back to you later in vivid
detail and make the high points that much richer.  1,000 miles or 2,600 miles
or 3,500 miles will tell you this, maybe not right away, but if you took the
time to observe and explore, then perhaps many years later.

The comment about trudging along at the boring speed of 2 miles per hour
reminded me of the comments that some short sighted friends of mine spoke
upon learning of my plans to hike the PCT;  "Gee, Greg, why don't you just
drive the distance?  It will take you a much shorter time and you'll get to
see almost as much as walking!"   Who was it that said something along the
lines that "You see 100 times as much from a car as that from an airplane and
you see 100 times more on a bike than you do from a car and you see 100 times
more when you walk than when you ride a bike"?  Then how much more do you see
and experience at 2 mph than you do at 3+ mph?  Ten times? Twenty times?

Don't get me wrong here.  I'm not professing to go to extremes and crawl the
PCT (hmmm, now there is something for Monte to do!).  I am simply professing
to not take the opposite extreme without closely examining your motives and
desires and interests in this endeavor.  Yes, the weather and prospect of
snow is daunting.  But, listen up (I know this is long, I'm sorry, but I
really feel strongly about this stuff), I was up on the Marion Mountain Trail
on San Jacinto mountain recently with my three sons and we climbed up to the
PCT right near Fuller Ridge.  It was hot and the shade from the large pines
was sought and enjoyed, the breeze most invited. Snow?  No sign that snow
could ever be part of this scene.

The memories came flooding as they always do when I retrace any part of the
trail; of the snow along this stretch in early Spring with the brilliant red
snow flowers pushing up through the snow and the bright green pine needles of
new growth on the trees causing an almost hallow effect with the boughs still
holding a coat of snow . . . of the exhaustion of postholing all afternoon on
the southern approach to Tahquit's Peak and collapsing in my sleeping bag too
tired to fix anything to eat, only to find a kind hearted soul on Easter
morning, camped right next to me, offering a FULL breakfast with all the
trimmings, him knowing what I was doing from my equipment (a rare insight in
1977), and of course not surprized at the hugh volume that I consumed.  In
short, this possibly interpreted low from one perspective is actually a great
memory and high.  I will challenge any low that anyone has ever experienced
on the PCT and show that in a different light can be viewed as great
experience with lessons and insights and value.

I'm no angel in this respect.  I am guilty of rushing through some sections
and logged some high mileage days.  I merely have the fortunate perspective
of a few more years than most.  I surely wont rush through the next time, God
willing.

HYOH,

Greg "Strider' Hummel