[pct-l] Something Practical and something Poetic

1. "Yogi-ing" gear from companies all depends on your conscience. The whole
thing is a kind of icky revolving scheme -- the gear companies advertise
heavily and try to build up a good name with hard core individuals. This
forces the prices up, and forces the hard core individuals to jockey for
free or reduced price gear. Another round, another price increase. During my
first long hike on the PCT, I was able to get some top Leki poles for free,
a new North Face packpack etc. just by prostituting myself to the companies.
Ug.
   Making your own gear, or finding inexpensive outlets (ones that still
provide honest gear at an honest price) seems to me a better way to go. The
amazing thing about this is a lot of the high tech stuff that you can
wheedle out of the gear conglomerates is total crap. My North Face pack, for
example, has straps popping off of it and zippers breaking after two years
of use. I wouldn't buy a sock from TNF; I don't like a single item in their
line, but they sure do give a way a lot of free stuff! You notice how
Patagonia (who usually sponsors humanitarian expeditions), Bibler and Vasque
don't promo their stuff -- they don't have to.

2. The high sierra in late summer is truly amazing. It has given me insight
into why people sometimes chastise the PCT-ers for their choice of dates to
traverse the JMT. It's snow-free, bug-free, not too hot or cold, storm-free,
wildflower-packed, and beautiful. Now that I have finished my goal of
climbing the California 14-ers this season, I'm more likely to hike up to
Sierra meadow and just marvel at how beautiful the summer has become. Makes
me think more about the north to south hikers and how they are able to see
some of the most beautiful country during the best time of the year.

will