Re: [pct-l] cuisine challegne

I'm with you, Jack.  I take great pleasure in packing good and healthy food for
the trail, just like I eat at home.  I just spent a few weeks shopping and
dehydrating and premixing my trail meals for a 25 day hike in the So. SIerra.
Here's what we eat every day:
Breakfast:
dried mixed fruit (from Trader Joe's) eaten on the trail, after starting out at
about 7:00 am.
Lunch:
mixed nuts (from Costco, my own combination of peanuts, cashews, pecans and
almonds)
salmon jerky (make it myself, marinated in burgundy wine, garlic and herbs)
energy bars (Steel Bars and Genisoy bars)
powdered gatorade
Dinner:
Some combination of:
carbohydrate--dehydrated brown rice, dehydrated cooked beans, ramen noodles, or
mashed potato flakes
protein:
nuts (cashews or almonds), dehydrated beans, or dehydrated fish (salmon, tuna,
clams, shrimp)
seasoning:
Italian, mexican, asian, indian, cajun, or american style
Dessert:
Quaker 100% Natural Granola with soy-oat milk
hot cocoa
This diet weighs 24 oz per parson per day and provides 3000 calories.  ( I like
to lose a few pounds on these trips, and I always lose about 7 pounds in 300
miles.)

Last Sunday I packed 25 different dinners and wrote down all the recipes.  If
any of them turn out scrumptious I will be happy to share them.  These recipes
require no cooking.  Just boil water, pour it on the stuff , cover it, and let
it sit for 20 minutes, and eat it.  The only pot I carry is an aluminum coffee
pot and the only thing I have to clean is the cup I eat out of (a 1 quart
plastic cup with handle and lid).  This no-simmer method also avoids attracting
bears.
Marion Davison