[pct-l] Communal Pneumonia - a vaccine?

Tony's horrific experience with pneumonia made me want to bring to the
attention of the list the availability of a pneumonia vaccine.

This vaccine is now recommended for older folks, especially those in confined
group conditions like nursing homes. Pneumonia used to be called '"The old
mans friend" because it carried so many off quietly and (I hope) painlessly.

I don't know if this vaccine is effective for Tony's condition. Medical
experts should weigh in on this. Since I have had a life long tendency toward
"strep throat," bacterial throat infections that can lead to pneumonia, I got
this vaccination 2 years ago. It was about $25, one shot, no reaction at all
in my case, and no prescription required at a drug store in Studio City, part
of L.A. Seemed like cheap insurance.

Todd in Tarzana.