[pct-l] Snow in the Sierra

Snow in the San Joaquin drainage area [Muir Pass to Mammoth] was 103% of
normal as of April 1. Comparing the amount of snow on Memorial Day to last
year there is a LOT MORE SNOW this year.

Last year about June 15-20, I talked to many thruhikers about their
harrowing ford of Evolution Creek [North of Muir Pass] and the incredible
four-mile post-hole from Muir Pass north, past Wanda Lake until the trail
loses altitude descending towards Saphire/Evolution Lakes.

The high water mark for the San Joaquin was 5/24/00, or about the same as
last year. Volume was higher.

Bsesd on these observations I believe that LEAVING Kennedy Meadows before
June 15 is NOT ADVISED. Of course snow is not something I'm experienced
with. YMMV.

Tom