[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #1149

Roger, it's funny, but when I thruhiked the PCT, of the group of 9 of us who
were more or less together in Washington, only one was wearing Tevas and
Goretex socks -- and the other 8 were wearing boots. Also, if you look at the
video Lynn Welden made, you'll see a lot of boots on the feet of those hikers
he interviewed on the northern portions of the trail, and you'll hear most
people quoted say that they only used some of Jardine's techniques. (Lynn
interviewed almost every thru-hiker in 97.) I also disagree with Jenny -- I
think boots dry faster than sneakers (I've used both). At least, the inside,
next to the foot, where it counts, dries faster. Wet boots are warmer than
wet sneakers. In Arizona in January, once Dan and I were hiking in heavy
snow, he with light fabric boots and me with heavy Merrills. His boots were
wet at night and frozen in the morning; mine were neither. I've worn sneakers
for, I'd guess maybe 800 -1000 miles over the years. They don't really work
for me. At the end of the day, my feet bones feel pulverized (so I also
disagree that boots don't give ankle support). And I have extremely strong
ankles.

I'm not defensive about my use of boots -- with no blisters and comfortable
feet, why would I be? -- I just hate to see the issue drawn in black and
white. If you had e-mailed me in 97 when I was wearing sneakers in southern
Cal, I'd have told you that I was going back to my boots because of heel spur
pain caused by the sneakers not holding the foot in place. Once I went back
to my boots,  I was fine the rest of the way.

Karen Berger