Mt. Whitney

I am planning a hike up Whitney with my 13 year old son in June.
 My initial plan was to enter through Cedar Grove, up Bubbs Creek,
and out the Whitney Portal.  The problem is transportation-primarily
local transportation.  I can either rent a car in San Francisco
and leave it at a trail head, but that means a loop, which I'm
not sure I have time to do whitney in a loop, with only 7-11
days.  There is shuttle service that will take me from the Portal,
where I would leave the car, to Cedar Grove, but that is $ 300.

A friend can get us from SFO to Cedar Grove, so we wouldn't need
to rent a car at SFO, but then we have to take Greyhound from
Lone Pine to SFO, which is $ 140, and takes 12 to 16 hours.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Any other local transportation
ideas, or loops that would make Whitney more convenient?

Ed

-----