[pct-l] Fat source checks out...

All,
I just found and purchased some dried coconut milk in the Asian section of a
local Super-Duper Market (Central Market, Seattle, WA) in a follow-up on a
suggestion posted to the list awhile back. Upon first inspection, this stuff
holds great potential for all us that want more fat in our trail diet. Fat
supplies a significant amount of calories for activities, like backpacking,
that are mostly below the anaerobic threshold and the weight to calorie
ratio for fat is great. It's called CHAO THAI BRAND Coconut Cream Powder and
it just needs to be mixed with water. A 2 oz package delivers 360 calories
(230 from fat), 26g fat (15g saturated), and 10g CHO. I wouldn't worry too
much about the high saturated fat content as it's primarily made up of
medium-chain triglycerides, which are not metabolized like the long-chain
triglycerides found in animal fats. The medium-chain triglycerides are
burned preferentially as fuel and not stored as fat, nor is it indicated
they raise blood lipid levels. I've yet to make food with this stuff, but it
seems simple enough to rehydrate with water to produce coconut milk which
can be used as is on cereal or in your favorite Thai curry recipe. I'll work
on a few recipes and post them to the list. Happy eating...

Rusty "MyTie" Johnston
pctresearch@pcthiker.com | Long-distance backpacking research
http://www.pcthiker.com | experience the Pacific Crest Trail