[pct-l] Freeze Dried + Fat + Seasoning Minus COST!

RE:
<<From: CMountainDave@aol.com
Subject: Re: [pct-l] PCTResearch updates
... I ate only one freeze dried meal on the entire PCT and I'm sad to
say, it sucked. I like lots of fat in my hiking diet. I even took to eating
one pound packages of oreos for a mid morning snack in the Sierras...>>

Strangely, I hear this frequently about freeze dried foods (that is, not
enough fat).  So true, but easily fixed.  I ALWAYS add jerkey and Olive Oil
(because I like the taste of it, and it is mono-unsaturated, much better for
you than the hydrogenated crud in liquid margarine).  But I add jerkey to
Lipton, too... The second complaint, not tasting good, is also easily fixed
with a few dried unions, pepper, dried veggies, etc. And there is enormous
variety of freeze dried meals available...easily doctored.

My problem with freeze dried is the COST.  I just picked up some freeze
dried chicken and turkey at REI to try.  It was about $5 for a few ounces!!
It would cost thousands for a through hike (at my rate, even for a section
hike <g>).  Making my own jerkey and dried cooked beef (different),
combining that with normal storebought, and adding a FEW freeze dried
"treat" meals works for me.

IMHO,

Good hiking,
Pete