[pct-l] Greetings from PCT

Hello everyone from a stealth camp high above Kitchen Creek. I'm pausing to pass Fred and Long Canyons during the day tomorrow because of Forest Service Reports of drug smuggling and hikers losing gear to the smugglers.

So far, my experience has been far better than that in '94; perhaps I have a thru-hiking combination here! Time will tell.

Would someone send me the email address for trail updates?  I'll try to be regular if someone will assure me the info will reach the pcta website.

Here are some: Campo Creek running OK on the 9th, HAuser Creek dry but someone said there is a little pool 50 yds downstream; Boulder Oaks closed but water and toilets are available; don't camp at Cibbetts Flat because of drug smuggling[CORRECTION -- the ranger at Cibbets Flat directly contradicts the one at Lk.Morena.  He says OK to camp in Long, Fred Canyons, and OK to camp at Cibbets; not to camp at Hauser]. Cottonwood Creek at the bridge consists of disgusting pools of slime.  At the crossing a mile and a half north, though, a clear rivulet is running.  Plenty of water in Kitchen Creek, accessible by a scramble. Fred Canyon is dry as a bone, but Long Canyon is fine, as is the spring at the Lower Morris Meadow horse camp.

I welcome any email, and promise not to let it distract me too much from hiking!

-- Dave Stockton
davstock@pocketmail.com