Back in Idaho......

Hi Jeff,
Am unsubscribed right now from the Pct and the BPL list, I sent this and
wondered if it made it to either list.  If not could you please resend for
me.

Hope his gets to some on the Pct and BPL list.  I have to resubscribe to
them both.
Okay here are the details, on my 3rd day out A week ago Tuesday I was
crossing a rock fall on the Pct trail about 7 miles from the Devils Slide
down into Idlywild.  I was doing just fine but just at the end a rock
slipped out and my foot slipped down in and I went over. I have a clean
fracture of the big bone just up from the boottop.  The bone is not
displaced, so I should heal fine. I was hiking alone and did not have a cell
phone.( I have promised never to do this again)

I manage to drag my self up onto the trail and a flat spot and set up
housekeeping there. First my ground sheet, then the Pad and the sleeping
bag.  It is amazing what you can do on your butt
and drag stuff and use your good leg to support the bad one. It was very hot
and sunny during the day and with the help of my ski poles I managed to get
my famous poncho on a bush and pulled over the trail  for shade from the
sun.  I was actually there 3 days when about 12.30 on the 3rd day
a couple of thru hikers from Spokane came through and he went really fast
and got to a cell phone about 4.30 p.m and call 911. By 7 pm. I had lots of
company and the helicopter did not like where I was so I was taken off the
mountain on a  stokes litter with a running wheel.(that was really an
experience)

Just back along the trail I passed Apple Canyon (where there are a couple of
flat campspots) on a saddle, and down the backside of this was a trail down
to a road (this is about a 2 hour hike down a very rough and narrow brushy
trail).  Well, this is the route the Mountain Rescue folks took and we
started off about 8.30 p.m and got to the road about 2.30 a.m.  The recuers
did a marvelous job. the trail was so narrow in spots they would fall off
the trail, the brush was so thorny they got all ripped up on any bare spot.
They had enough folks they could rotate.

They took me to the emergency room in Hemmet which was teeming with
folks....my only really down side when I thought for sure I would cry,  At
4.30 in the morning they had casted my leg and then just released me from
the  hospital.  I am still filthy dirty and a little traumaticated.  So here
I am, A big mess with a cast on my left leg and a set of crutches and a big
backpack and hiking poles.  Well they gave me a phone book and I called a
cab and went to a Motel.  I sorta slept for two hours but was up by 8 a.m.
calling my daughter (So I could cry) Well shoot she picked my spirit right
up and with in a hour beween all my kids, I had found a ride up to Cajon
Pass to my car and another motel and started my journey back to McCall
Idaho......where we now have 2 inches of new snow.
there you got it......will I ever get OUT OF SECTION B on the PCT

multipart/mixed
---