[pct-l] Jardine itineraries

Will wrote:
>>The Jardine schedules (boo! hiss!) put you up into the Sierras very early. I think
it's because they were sketched out during the drought of the 80's. Who knows? <<

Jardine never hiked the PCT northbound strictly using one of his itineraries.  I recall him thru-hiking in 1991, and he was way, way ahead of any of the itineraries published in the first two editions of the PCT Hiker Handbook (the first edition was in 1994, I think).  1991 was an above-average snowpack year for the Sierras.  The last time he thru-hiked the PCT he did it southbound in 1994.  I assume he made some educated guesses in developing the itineraries, and IMHO he did a fairly good job.

I'm not going out of my way to defend Jardine, but my own experience in 1996 showed me that entering the high passes of the Sierra Nevada around June 15 is a pretty reasonable approach for a normal or below-normal snowpack year.  This assumes you have some skill in snow-travel.  In 1996, thru-hikers with NO snow experience did just fine, also.  A few bombed, as some do every year.  Each year is different, and your actual experience may vary...

As Will implies, creating your own itinerary (or no itinerary, if you choose) is the best choice!

Roger Carpenter
Vancouver, Washington USA

PCT 1996

multipart/alternative