[pct-l] Re: running shoes

I wanted to reply to the whole running shoes thing.

I think that unless you're in super shape to begin with (including your
feet), the first 100 miles of the PCT can really be rough on feet, and the
conclusions you draw about what works and what doesn't might not be accurate
for later in the hike when you are more broken in.

I don't have a real loyalty to the Danner company -- because two boots
delaminations and bad custormer service during an AT thru-hike ended up
forcing me to hike the Kinsmans in Tevas (which jsut proves that anyone can
hike anything wearing any footwear.)  But the truth is that after wearing out
more pairs of hiking boots than I can count and trying many different brands,
I find that Danner Mountain lites (HAH! 3/12 pounds for the pair) fit my foot
like they were custom made - -I didn't get a single blister on the whole AT.

On the PCT., I started in some semi-lightweight Asolos that had 500 miles on
them. I had had them resoled, and either the resoling made the boot a tad
narrower, or the heat on the PCT made my foot expand more than usual. I
started getting warning signs about two days in, so I changed to running
shoes. Then in Big Bear I bought  trail hiker shoes. (Nike) which gave so
llttle heel support that I got inflamed heel spurs and almost ended the hike.
Went to a doctor in Agua Dulce (well, not in agua Dulce, they don't have one,
but an angel drove me 30 miles to find one), got medicine, and sent for my
Danners. In Mojave, I put on the Danners and hiked happily on for the rest of
the trip.

I too have seen sneaker-wearers with terrible blisters. I suggest using
insoles (Superfeet is what I've used -- not $300!) to give some hard support
under the food, and to keep your feet from rolling around. I wore sock liners
and wool socks, and bought seakers big enough to accommodate them. If your
feet swell, then you can always change to lighter socks. I find that my foot
bones start to hurt without enough support. (Remember, there's all that water
to carry) so I really do prefer boots. I've see a lot of sneaker wearers with
stress fracturers -- but I have seen some happy ones, too. If it doesn't work
for you in the beginning in southern Cal, you could try it again in northern
Cal where conditions are more favorable, packs are lighter, and feet and
bodies broken in.

Karen Berger