Re: [pct-l] Light boots

I have been off the list for a while and will have to catch up on news and
who is where on the trail.... John Vonhof

Reynolds wrote,

> I tried a pair of New Balance trail running shoes at ADZPCTKO.... I found
that the lightweight shoes moved around on my feet quite a bit and my feet
became very tired after 4-5 miles..... Based on this I would write-off
running shoes for me except.....

> One hiker, running the trail, said my running shoes were too big. Better
fit shoes would have worked much better. Also, I expect that orthotics would
have fixed my retarded feet.  So, in reality I don't really know if running
shoes would work for me.

My recommendation is that if you are a runner who frequently does trail
running in trail running shoes, then use trail running shoes. But if you do
not have that background, do not just buy a pair of running shoes and think
they will not give you problems. Since I have experience ruinning trails, I
feel very comfrotable in theses shoes and would feel strange in heavier
(even lightweight) boots. But to be honest, I look with great admoration at
the new breed of lightweight trail shoes. Many of them offer the best of
both worlds. But, "Yes," fit is important, along with a good pair of
insoles.

John Vonhof
vonhof@pacbell.net
Fixing Your Feet: Prevention and Treatments for Athletes
www.footworkpub.com