[pct-l] Re: PCT snow

Personally, I thought hiking the Sierra in snowmelt was one of the highlights
of my hiking life! I hiked in 97, an "average" snow year (Snow at 90 percent
of average when I left Kennedy meadows in mid-June). There were miles of snow
on both sides of Muir -- for me that was the "hardest" pass just because of
the exertion. The chute on Forester IS covered often until August (I've been
there a bunch of times), but it looks much worse than it is. The Mather
cornice is a bit dicey.

I'd say take an ice ax and ignore all the rumblings, which are often
motivated by fear and lack of experience. Also, remember that everyone is
different -- what freaks each of us out is different, what we find tough is
different.

As far as I'm concerned, the High Sierra in June is a "must repeat" trip. And
my snow and mountaineering skills are adequate, but not terrific. Take an ice
ax (no matter what ANYONE supposedly more knowledgeable than you says!). I
would take instep crampons. They make things unbelievably easier. Take enough
food to wait out a June storm -- they pass soon enough.  And enjoy some of
the most beautiful scenery in the world.

Re: Snow-water content: It's because old compressed spring snow has been
melting and freezing and melting and freezing and consolidating for a while.
That's why the ratios are different.

Karen Berger