[pct-l] RE: Bears above treeline

 On our JMT hike in `98, we had a bear sniff around our camp below Forester
Pass (camp elevation 12K).  Given this is just down the road from Vidette
Mdw (Bear Central), but a caveat nonetheless.  I have also had marmots
(cuter but just as destructive) attempt raids on my larder more than once
above treeline.  It's a pity, my friends, but it seems the good old days of
hanging food with a light heart and getting away with an old stuff sack for
food and trash storage are over. IMHO, bite the bullet and buy a bear can.

Bill "DEETer" Sargent