[pct-l] PCT vs. AT

Now that the PCT vs. AT discussion is escalating rapidly, I was happy to see
the first of a two-part article, "Up the Pacific Crest and Down the
Appalachian Trails" in the recently released ALDHA-West Distance Hiker's
Gazette.  The author, Sven Thesen who hiked both the PCT and AT in 1999, is
perhaps the best person to comment on this overly re-hashed topic.  In the
article Sven says, "the AT is more strenuous, but the PCT is more
difficult".  IMHO, Sven has said it best!

The article is excellently written.  I hope Sven comes the the gathering on
Sept 29 to present a slide show!  To receive the Gazette and join
ALDHA-West, or see info on the 2000 Gathering, go the the web site:

http://gorp.com/nonprof/aldhaw/

Good luck out there, PCT class of 2000!  Perhaps I will see some of you in
Washington state late this summer, where I hope to wander for a few weeks.

Roger Carpenter
P.O. Box 651
Vancouver, WA  98666
(360) 696-1746