Re: [pct-l] Pack weights AT vs PCT

Monte you crack me up!

> If your pack was 45lbs. on the AT and only 25lbs. on the PCT Martin,  this
> meaning your planning was worse on your AT trip. The towns are closer on the
> AT than the PCT so there's no reason your pack should be heavier.

On the AT I went the standard route with gear choices. I carried a 7 pound
Dana pack (That's 7 pounds empty!) with a 4 pound NF tent, candle lantern,
water filter, etc, etc. . .  On the PCT I carried a 14 ounce LWGear pack and
a tarp. The difference in pack weight, in my case, is not related to the
distance between towns.

> More hikers will complete the AT in one year than all
> the hikers that have ever completed the PCT. ( Which one is harder???)

One can conclude from that data the AT is more popular than the PCT. In
terms of which one is harder, Monte, there's a guaranteed way for you to
find out for yourself.

> Gramma Gatewood kept her distance from the PCT and kept redoing and
> redoing the AT.

If she were alive and you said this to her face I would love to be there.
She'd roll you over her knee and spank some sense into you!

> A  PCT hikers pack is " as a rule " heavier than an AT hikers pack just from
logistics.

You really crack me up!

Troubadour
http://www.pcthiker.com | experience the pacific crest trail