[pct-l] RE: pct-l-digest V1 #1093

Dharmabum wrote:

-Dave Scott who always shows up for his climbs with a good beer
belly on to whittle away on his long climbs.

I think you meant my old mate Doug Scott?  fella who climbed all 8000ders?
Who climbed the tallest mountains on all the continents?  Yes I agree that
for guys with his physique the best approach to training is to large it big
style with a few fine ales in the local.  However there are very few folks
in this country that could take the step from ale guzzler to wilderness
camper overnight.  My dad loves his ale and increasingly red wine - BUT he
has had to concentrate on climbing a couple of rungs on the fitness ladder.
YES the only way to acclimatise to walking 8 hours a day is to walk 8 hours
a day but dad is hoping that his 6am jogs/walks in the Pennines with a
loaded pack (not golite in any stretch of the imagination - we're far too
inexperienced to start relying on a tarp come any problems) with get him
closer to what will be required.

My Dad IS going to need help (as I suspect will many of you out there
attempting the full thruhike) - we had planned to do this thing together but
a very welcome surprise (my wife is with child!) means I can only come out
for a 6 week stretch mid June which hopefully coincides with the High
Sierras.  Dad is an outdoor man with incredible mental strength and a
cracking sense of humour but has not really survived out in the wilds for a
good few years.  He will get along fine with a helping hand from some kind
American cousins - I hope I hear of many volunteers.  This is not a plea to
carry my Dad through this but a plea not to overwhelm him with jargon and
difficulties on the ADZ..KO which he is aiming to attend.

I hope that I can meet some of you in my briefest of journeys on the PCT.

Cheers for now

Jamie