Re: [pct-l] ALL 3

On Sun, 02 Apr 2000 16:12:10 GMT "Brett Tucker" <blisterfree@hotmail.com>
writes:
> What about heading north along the CDT in-season, following a
> low-snow
> winter, then southbound along the PCT, walking around the High
> Sierra as
> necessary, and then northbound on the AT?
>
> Never say never. They said that about a double-trail hike, a 4
> minute mile,
> and human flight. Actually, they said that about a single thru-hike
> of the
> AT, before Earl Schaffer proved them wrong (twice).
>
> "Focus on your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours." -
> Richard Bach

Brett -
I wouldn't say 'never' because the triple hike is doable for someone with
the right mindset, physical condition and training.  But there are a few
caveats -

If you start at the Mexican border on 1 April, you'd probably have to
road walk southern Colorado (probably most of Colorado) even in a light
snow year.  The snowpack normally doesn't clear in southern Colorado
until at least mid June.  Then you'd probably hit more snow in the Winds
and, if you're lucky, only the end of the snow in northern Montana in
July.  That's either a lot of snowshoeing or a lot of roadwalking.  That
doesn't bode well for doing a 4 month hike.

And that would put you in the Sierras in Oct/Nov if you did a 4 month PCT
hike.  How much snow?

Then there's the AT - not a major problem if  you start maybe Jan 1 -
that would get you to Katahdin in May for a 5 month hike.  No point in
doing it faster - Baxter State Park doesn't generally open until sometime
in May except to those who are part of a group with heavy duty
mountaineering equipment and experience.  But it would be a long, cold,
lonely  trip.  Oh yeah - the snow pack in the Whites in April is no
better than that in the Sierras or the South San Juans.  Not to mention
the Smokies.  More snow -- and more ice than you can imagine.

Of course, a lot of that snow can be walked around on lower routes - but
why?  The only reason to do it is ego - you certainly wouldn't see - or
hike - a lot of the trail.

We talked to Sven after his double hike last year - he was real tired of
30+ mile days.  Adding another 4 or 5 months of hiking would have been a
real drag.

Anyway - it may be doable, but it wouldn't be 'hiking' as we know it, it
wouldn't be enjoyable and it certainly wouldn't be 'on the trail' for a
large part of the way.

On a somewhat related note, the Monk (Terrence Alexander for those who
remember him from the PCT) is starting in Newfoundland on the
Trans-Canada Trail this next week.   He's figuring to finish in October
at Victoria, BC.  About 5600 miles - nearly the same mileage as Sven's
double hike last year.

Walk softly,
Jim

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!