[pct-l] Maps List

Someone asked a few weeks ago about maps to supplement the Guidebooks.
 Although it may be a little late (or may not) for this season's hikers,
here is a list of some of the maps that I found in '94, with a bit of
description.  I haven't (yet) used these maps in actual hiking.

In no particular order:

(1)
John Muir Wilderness
Inyo and Sierra National Forests
Sequoia-Kings Canyon Wilderness
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks
(CENTRAL SECTION)
CALIFORNIA

by US Dept Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Region.  ~ $4.00
~30"x40",  very good, very big; waterproof ink on not-waterproof paper;
reverse is usual wilderness photos and text
1: 63360
1992
got this by mail from a government address somewhere
companion with (2)

(2)
John Muir Wilderness
Inyo and Sierra National Forests
Sequoia-Kings Canyon Wilderness
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks
(SOUTH SECTION (one side)  and NORTH SECTION (t'other side)
CALIFORNIA

by US Dept Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Region.  ~ $4.00
same specs but both sides are maps
companion with (1)

(3) San Jacinto Peak Quadrangle 7.5 Minute
1:24000
Shows from Tahquitz Peak N to Snow Creek; shows Idyllwild and top of
tramway
Bought this in Idyllwild
~2' x 2'
non-waterproof paper

(4) - (8)
Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail
Washington Northern Portion
Washington Southern Portion
Oregon Northern Portion
Oregon Central Portion
Oregon Southern Portion
This is a color-coded series of maps put out by the USDA/Forest Service
Northwest Region.  I do not know if there are California versions.  They
cover the PCT as of ~1982-6, and each cost me $2.00 from some government
address.  The maps say they are available from

Forest Service Regional Office
319 S.W. Pine St
Box 3623
Portland, OR 97208

The format is ~30" x 40" with interspersed topo sections and text (quite
good) and photos on non-waterproof paper.

(9)
Ansel Adams Wilderness
1:63360, 1987
USDA / Forest Service Pacific Southwest Region
Very nicely printed topo (one side) on non-waterproof paper, $3.00
Other side is text, etc.  If it were map on both sides and half the size...
~30"x40"

(10)
Yosemite National Park
California
Map #206
Trails Illustrated, on waterproof plastic paper.
~2.0' x 2.5'
1:100,000
Revised 1993
~$10.00 ?
Very nice format and size and paper.

(11)
North Cascades National Park
Washington
Map #223
Trails Illustrated, on waterproof plastic paper.
~2.0' x 2.5'
1:100,000
Revised 1993
~$10.00 ?
Very nice format and size and paper.

(12)
National Forests of the Pacific Northwest Region
USDA / Forest Service Pacific Northwest Region
~30" x 35" on non-waterproof paper, $2.00
1:1,000,000 (too large for hiking, but good for drivers meeting hikers)
Shows both Oregon and Washington with Nat'l Forests in color.

(13)
Mount Adams Wilderness
Gifford Pinchot National Forest
USDA / Forest Service Pacific Northwest Region
1988
1:31680, ~2' x 3'
Good placement of PCT with respect to  Mount Adams, names of glaciers, etc
Non-waterproof paper, $2-3
Maps on one side only, typical text on other side.

(14)
Mount Jefferson Wilderness and
Geo-graphics Mt. Jefferson Recreation Map
by Geo-Graphics
18860 S.W. Alderwood Drive,
Beaverton, OR
(503) 591-7635
1991
Very good for showing the Mt. Jefferson Peaks wrt the PCT.
I have the paper version ($5.95); apparently there is a plastic version
also.
~2' x 3'
Good hiking scales.

-- Dave