[pct-l] Sea salt

Scott wrote:
> Maybe other areas have other salt sources, and I'd be facinated to hear how
> they are depleted of potassium, phosphorous, etc. prior to being boxed and
> sold. And does this make them "harmful?"

Weird list to be posting discussions on salt, but because I just finished a
report on the different salts, I thought I would put in a few words.

All salt ultimately comes from the sea, whether it be collected from
evaporated sea water or mined from salt deposits in the Mid West (these
deposits were once sea water). The difference between the two is in the
mineral content. Mined salts have lost nearly all the sixty minerals they
once contained through the mining and purification process and are subject
to local geological contamination. Sea salt, if it's unrefined (not all sea
salts escape the processing plants and loss of their minerals), has a
mineral content similar to human blood, and can be a small source of
minerals in the diet. The sea salts to look for are slightly gray in color
and/or originate from the the seas around Baja California. As to the
question of being harmful, that depends on whos camp you choose to pitch
your tent in.

As for that backpacking twist we all read this list for: We all sweat a lot
on the trail and do so for several days on end. But sodium is not the main
mineral lost in sweat, potassium is the one to watch for. It was mentioned
on this list earlier that buying the salt substitutes that are made from
potassium are a good way to help replenish your minerals lost in sweat.
Sodium is generally not a problem because of all the processed and packaged
foods that make up a good portion of our trail diet are generally high is
sodium.

Rusty "MyTie" Johnston
pctresearch@pcthiker.com | Long-distance backpacking research
http://www.pcthiker.com | experience the Pacific Crest Trail