[pct-l] Re: new to backpacking

On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, DangDingo@aol.com wrote:

> im a relatively new hiker ive never done a hike more than 1 day and im
> begining to think the pct trail may be out of my league is there any way to
> find experienced hikers to travel with for atleast part of the trail.

Experience certainly improves your chances but it's not unheard of for
people with your level of experience to take on thru-hiking the PCT. I
just have to warn you that your odds aren't that good. Heck, less than
half of the experience folks complete the trail. I guess what I'm trying
to say is don't go into this with any illusions about it being easy.

The first thing I'd recommend is to get as much experience in the time you
have, assuming you're considering a 2000 thru-hike. Try going backpacking
every weekend that you have available between now and then. Don't take it
easy either. Try and get 25-30 miles in each weekend. There's nothing like
being on a trail to work out the equipment bugs and just to see if such a
strenuous undertaking is really what you want.

Also, don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. There's more experience on
this list than any of us will ever attain on our own.

-Karl

Karl "Birdman" Brandt PCT97 LT98                       (650) 363-1350
http://www.stanford.edu/~kbrandt/