Re: [pct-l] Thinsilate Bags

Montedodge@aol.com wrote:

> A 65lb. pack may seem harsh to many on this list, but
> offers enough comfort to stay out in any weather to those who can handle the
> weight.

Monte,

I believe, from reading other posts you have made, that the 65 pounds you suggest
is based on personal experience over more than a couple of years.  It's made me
wonder, if you were to pack a bag today, with the equipment of your choice,
defining the safety and comfort you prefer, would that pack today, still weigh 65
pounds.

Actually, I guess what I'm really asking is whether or not twenty years of
progress in equipment manufacturing and design have lightened or increased the
load of the heavyweight backpacker.  I've been so preoccupied snipping off labels
and pasting mylar on umbrellas, that I haven't paid attention to what the design
engineers have been making for those that prefer to hike a different hike.

Yes, I know the question sounds like a troll, but it is good intentioned, and
curiousity driven, and without ulterior motives.

Jeff E