Re: [pct-l] altimeter watch- is it worth taking?

> I'm thinking of purchasing a Suunto altimeter watch, with compass and
> barometer built-in for the hike this year. Its kind of bulky to wear, but lots
> of cool features.

I used a Suunto Vector watch on my PCT thru-hike. I really like the watch
and it served me very well.

I used the Altimeter and Compass functions mostly. It is true that one has
to set the altimeter daily for accurate results, but this process takes all
of 3 seconds. I found it to be quite accurate. I hiked at night a lot and it
was great to be able to use the watch to help me find camps or water sources
that the guidebook mentioned. Once I came closer to the area based on the
altimeter readings I would then begin to make a concerted effort to find the
camp or water. Some times I would arrive with a dead on reading as per the
guidebooks noted altitude.

The compass guided me through white out conditions in snow in Jefferson
Park. That virtually made up for the cost right there!

The barometer has limited function since on the trail the air pressure
changes all the time as you rise and fall in elevation.

The watch is expensive. That's a major downside. I bought the watch last
minute before I left on my hike. I debated if I needed all of the functions,
or if I needed all that information the watch would provide. In hind sight
I'm glad I had it. It proved to be a very useful tool.

Troubadour
http://www.pcthiker.com | experience the pacific crest trail