RE: [pct-l] Butane vs. Alcohol Stove

Tom,

If time allows, I'm going to start time testing different fuel / stove
combinations. Currently the fuels planned are alcohol, esbit and stansport.
Since I don't have any of the other homemade stoves, I'm going to use mine.
I may toss in the Esbit stove if time permits. I can also include the new
Snowpeak gas stove in the mix. Unfortunately my Whisperlight bought the dust
a few months ago.

Pot: .9 oz Titanium - With special lid with temperature gauge to allow
measuring temps at different time intervals.
Water: 2 cups
Windscreen - None (Neither the Esbit or Snowpeak stoves come with a
windscreen.)
Time: When water reaches 210 degrees. I'm going to set a temperature, since
trying to determine boil times is quite inexact.

This is the test scheme for each stove and fuel combination.

Test 1:
Water temp: tap water (approx. 60 degrees)
Wind: None

Test 2:
Water temp: ice water (approx. 32 degrees) - because mountain streams are
damn cold at times.
Wind: None

Test 3:
Water temp: tap water (approx. 60 degrees)
Wind: Approx 5 mph ( or whatever my floor fan kicks out)

Test 4:
Water temp: ice water (approx. 32 degrees)
Wind: Approx 5 mph ( or whatever my floor fan kicks out)

Calculating the weight of fuel used will be by measuring the weight of the
stove/fuel combination both before and after temperature is reached. The
assumption being to bring two cups of water to a boil then distinguish the
heat to allow the water heat to continue cooking the food.

Ron "Fallingwater" Moak
PCT 2000 Journey - http://www.fallingwater.com/pct2000