Re: [pct-l] RE: [CDT-L] Pur Hiker water filter

Good idea sending your note to PUR about several hundred of the most
sophisticated and knowledgeable people on outdoor gear being unhappy with PUR
not backing up the guarantee of their filters.

However, the outdoor equipment manufacturers formulate their guarantees based
upon marketing strategies, not expected performance and longevity and
certainly not the kind of long term and consistent abuse that a long distance
hiker is likely to subject the equipment to.  They take a risk that no one
will really, or often enough to impact their profits, subject their equipment
to the environment that might challenge the guarantee.

So stress the point that the people who hike long distance trails are likely
to be the tip of the outdoor enthusiast pyramid and looked up to by
multitudes of other outdoor enthusiasts.  As such they can, by word of mouth,
influence tens of thousands, if not 100's of thousands of buyers of their
equipment.  Basically, TREAT US WELL OR WE'LL TRASH YOUR MARKETING PLANS.

But, come now, aren't we really taking advantage of their boasting?  Do you
really expect these things (filters, boots, packs, tents, etc.) to last under
the kinds of abuse that a long distance hike puts on them?

Good luck.  I still recommend that you compliment them first, something like:
 I've been using your excellent filters for (choose one: 5, 10 15, 20) years
and found them to offer unparalleled protection from the illnesses and
unpleasantries that infected water pose to the long distance hiker.  I have
subjected your filters to the kind of demands that truly challenge your
guarantee and found them to perform well under most conditions, however,  .
.  .  (insert complaint)

Greg "Strider" Hummel