Re: [pct-l] Disclaimer regarding drift boxes.

Yes, this is a good point. Make certain that you can definitely forward a
box if you need to. I preferred to use only real post offices and would send
my drift boxes there. I usually sent the drift box about 2 weeks ahead of
myself.

I did forward a package from Ollalie Lake when I did not arrive while I was
there. It cost $20 to have it forwarded. Another thing to remember about
Ollalie lake is that they pick up packages only once a week to bring them to
the resort. So, send your resupply well in advance. Mine didn't make it
because of this arrangement.

At Elk Lake I sent out a package by paying postage and extra to cover the
cost of having it driven out. If I remember correctly, I paid $10 in
addition to postage.

There is a fee to receive a pacakage at Vermillion Valley. I can't remember
what it was.

Belden Town Resort's PO also went out of business last year during the hike.
A local person took over receiving packages for a fee. I don't if they are
offering this service this year.

White Pass is another place I had to pay to get something shipped. They have
no scale there or PO equipment, so you just guess at how much you think your
package costs to send.

At Tuolumne meadows they get mail just once a day at noon time when it gets
driven up from the valley. Overnight mail takes two days to get there. (I
know this from experience) If they say your packages isn't there, make them
double check! I had a terrible time getting my package there. Despite my
inquiries they swore I had nothing there, only to find it a few hours later
after I had scrambled to make phone calls and resupply alternatives. A
definitely send your package priority mail from there. If you don't, your
package will sit there for a long time until there is space in the the car
that makes the mail run.

If you run into situation where you can't send a package out, or if you need
to leave town before the PO opens on Monday and you don't want to wait,
there may be alternatives. I needed to have a box shipped from Stehekin and
didn't want to wait 2 days till Monday for the PO to open. I asked one of
the waitresses at the lodge to mail it for me by giving her the postage
money and a little extra for her efforts. In that respect, it's always
helpful if you treat town people very kindly as you don't know who can
possibly help you out. And, also remember that undoubtedly other hikers have
inquired as well.

Troubadour
http://www.pcthiker.com | experience the pacific crest trail