Re: [pct-l] Water

In a message dated 2/3/00 4:11:14 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
weathercarrot@hotmail.com writes:

<< I was planning on an MSR Dromedary water bag as well - are you saying that
 you can buy a tube/bite valve that is compatible with the MSR? Where can I
 find it?

I just saw the assembly in the Campmor catalogue

 <<Also, I'm planning on having a six-quart capacity in the desert (which
 hopefully would need to last no more than about 24 hours). Is this
 realistic? >>

I carried eight liters one time (4 liter dromedary and 4 liter bottles), for
a 35.5 mile waterless section (split into 2 days) between SNF Road 29S05 and
McIvers spring.  In anticipation of this long stretch I used a couple extra 1
liter plastic soda bottles.  These are tough and can be squashed down or
blown up when needed.

During this section I ended up using only 6 liters, but it wasn't as hot as
thought it would be.

For the most part, in the desert you can get by with using the two plastic
bottles and fill your bag as necessary.

Taking advice from me could be problematic, it appears the fair-weather gods
have always been on my side.

Sly