Re: [pct-l] Re: Ice Axe Practice

The Stubai Tourlite, a light weight ice axe that Tom loaned me (actually he
loaned me two) was used in a climb of Mt. Ritter near Mammoth last July.  The
climb is mostly a snow and ice climb with no serious technical climbing (read
< 3.5) required on the route we took.  The axe performed fine and provided
full control on steep glissades.  I have seen other light weight axes also
but have no experience with which to compare.  These ice axes are designed to
provide arrest, limited belay and securement and are not rated for technical
use.  The metal of the head appears to be an aluminum alloy and I wouldn't
expect it to take too much abuse, but it cut steps and did what we needed on
this climb.  I wouldn't expect that you would face anything more technical on
any of the passes with the possible exception of Forrester than we did on
this climb.

However, I think they would be ideal for the uses that a thru-hiker is likely
to need on the high Sierra passes and Fuller Ridge.  I would have carried one
myself if they had been available when I hiked the trail.   I carried a long
wood handled axe (read heavy!) through the Sth Calif. and the Sierras.
Martina and Brian carried light weight axes in 1998 and I believe found them
useful.

Brian, who is the manufacturer of your light weight axes?

Best regards and, of course, IMHO,

Greg "Strider" Hummel