[pct-l] Maps - to buy more or not

I am finding myself increasingly uncomfortable with
the map sections in the standard two-volume PCT Guides
set.  I am interested in "seeing" more than just the
narrow corridor along the PCT, both because I'm a map
freak (I love to study the land along the way) and I
feel for safety reasons it would be best to have a
wider scope.

Anyone have a) thoughts on how effective the small
guidebook map sections are out on the trail, b)
knowledge of where to head in order to purchase larger
maps, or c) experience that would help me decide
whether additional maps would be beneficial or a waste
of time and money.

Thanks,
Nocona
AT98