[pct-l] Thru-hiking, ice axes, and self-arrest.

Sly wrote:
>>For a curious mind, has any thru-hiker (or atemptie)  ever lost control in
the snow or ice and actually had to self-arrest, using an ice ax?<<

On my '96 thru hike I self-arrested at least twice, although neither
incident was serious.  Here is an excerpt from my journal.
June 22, 1996:
"Mather Pass is conquered!  That's four passes in four days!   We rest
briefly on the pass while trying to figure a way off the rocky, snowy north
side.  As I take my first step off the pass I slide on a rock and land on my
rear end.  It's no problem, however, and we take a line to the left.  The
snow here is pretty hard because it is morning.  I still prefer the snow
over the rocks, and I dig in my heals while step-sliding down the steep
slope.  I slip!  My body hits the snow and begins sliding.  Quickly I
realize I need to dig in my ice ax to self-arrest.  I properly execute the
self-arrest, and I regain my footing.  This wasn't a dangerous situation,
but I am glad I know how to stop myself."

That's it, word for word.  This is probably typical for most self-arrest
situations for thru-hikers.  Surprisingly, the other time I self-arrested
was in Washington state, on Packwood glacier in the last week of August!  I
had carried my ice ax all the way from Campo, and it came in handy that day
in August, although I'm sure I could have stopped with my feet and hands.
Sly, if you are wondering, I whole-heartedly recommend all hikers in the
Sierra during snow-pack season carry ice axes!

Roger Carpenter
P.O. Box 651
Vancouver, WA  98666
(360) 696-1746