Re: [pct-l] big pack orlittle pack

Kelly,

Something that might help to shed light on your packweight and pack size
dilemma - if you have a copy of the PCT Hiker's Handbook, read the Pyramid
of Hiking Style information. Or in the new book Beyond Backpacking, check
out the chapter on Supercharging Mileage. The crux of your issue seems to be
summed up by the idea of consciously seeking a lightweight *system* vs.
convincing oneself that the packweight can drop no lower and therefore
actually increasing that packweight by trying to accommodate it. By focusing
on those long, dry stretches and all that food for 7 days, you're
essentially arguing for the need to carry heavier equipment. Reducing
packweight to a bare minimum requires the opposite approach - arguing for
what you do not need, and finding ways to make up any differences. The long
haul has taught me that the second approach, though not always easy, greatly
facilitates the act of walking.

- Blisterfree