RE: [pct-l] Digital Cameras--Viable

The advantages of the traditional camera lie primarily in their lighter weight
(some are, some aren't) and their ability to make higher quality enlargements.
I think there is nothing quite like sitting down with an album or individual
pictures in hand and reminiscing one at a time through the photos.   Not quite
any substitute for that in my book.

  Digital image quality isn't as good as the standard 35mm, but the price is
right with no cost for processing.  This might allow you take pictures you
wouldn't otherwise consider.   One company at least (Sony) has a model that uses
a floppy for the storage media which makes it even more convenient.  I consider
the greatest feature is their ability to return still images in almost real
time.  Under some conditions, this may be really important.  For backpacking,
well.... I guess it ultimately depends on what is important for you as far as
your picture taking needs are concerned.  If you want some top quality
reproductions of the sunsets and mountains and meadows and glaciers and wildlife
and things that we go backpacking to see, then a lighter weight 35mm might be a
better choice.

....Kelly