[pct-l] success

>     I find it odd that a long-distance PCT hike is defined as a
> "success" if a hiker starts at the arbitrary border line at Mexico and ends at
> an equally arbitrary line at Canada, and is a "failure" if for some

Perhaps a failure in his own mind.  For me, I don't consider any hike a
"failure" necessarily.  But when I do hike, I generally have a goal or a
destination.  If I don't make it for whatever reason, then it's not the end of
the world.  On my shorter weekend hikes, it's just a bit of a disappointment.
On a summer long journey, it can be a lot more.

For the PCT, if and when I have the opportunity , I also would have the goal of
finishing the trail.  For me, it IS important.  The appeal of a one season hike
from Mexico to Canada is the major part of the attraction.  If it wasn't, I
could just do it in itty-bitty sections over a period time and call it good.  Or
even two or three sections.  A major accomplishment for anyone.  But for me,
just not quite the same.

Obviously my time during the trip is just as important. If it wasn't, Id
probably be a sad fellow for 5/6 months waiting to meet my "goal".  And if I did
have to shorten the trip, I would hope that it wouldn't overwhelm the personal
satisfaction of the actual time that I did spend on the trail.

Ultimately, it doesn't to me matter whether person A or B finishes the trail or
not.  I still root for them along the way and hope they do and can, if that is
their goal.  But, it is their hike.  They live with their decision good or bad.
And as has been often pointed out, the distance traveled has no direct
connection to the enjoyment of the hike.

I don't fear the long miles, the snakes, or the heat, or most of the physical
obstacles that would come, though they get the respect they deserve.  The mental
aspects concern me though, because they can bring to a screeching halt those
best laid plans.  This demands the greatest and most difficult preparation.

Maybe I'm all washed up and haven't a clue.  Probably so.  I just go with what's
in my mind at the moment.  I'm always open for improvement.   From this list I
have gained much through the insights and experiences that others have shared,
and it is from this that I hope to learn.

...Kelly