[pct-l] Re: early success rate

benschif writes:

<< I think
 I know, or have talked to, or have corresponded with, or have heard
 lecture, all of the early attempters-- the success rate was well
 above 50% (well above 90% for the first few years). One has only to
 check the registers at and near the border (or even lurk on pct-l) or
 check ALDHA or PCTA to know that there is less than 10% success
 currently. >>

FWIW, in 1977 we (about 30 hikers gathered in Weldon at the foot of the
Sierras) counted about 150 people who had started with the intention to hike
all or part of the trail.  It would be very difficult to estimate the ratio
between thru and section hikers.  However, through post-hike communications
we found that only about 15 people finished.  I would guess that makes at
best a 20% success rate and more likely a 15%.  I had heard from a friend
that hiked it in 1975 that less than a hundred had started and less than ten
had finished.

I don't think it matters who you are, what you carry, when you hiked it or
how much experience you have.  What matters is your resolve.  And this, of
course, only applies to those (fools?) who try to thru-hike in one season.
Mother nature also plays a significant role, both to allow more success in
some years and less in others.

IMHO,

Greg "Strider" Hummel