Re: [pct-l] Snow in the Sierras?

<<I would read this as a great opportunity to hike through the Southern half
of the trail.>>

With caveats on any predictions based on the very early status of the lack of
snow in the Sierra firmly in place, I would venture a guess that this might
be a great year.  However, of course, anything can happen.  In 1977, the last
year of a seven year drought, there was hardly any snow in the high Sierras
when I entered them around May 1st (I know, way too early and idiotic in
Jardin's view).  I thought that I would have a cake walk through them.  Four
days into them a late spring storm hit that changed everything.  I guess this
is why Jardin recommends holding off until June to enter the Sierras.  The
late spring storms can dump a lot of snow on an otherwise light situation.

I suggest you schedule your entry into the Sierra based upon your
capabilities, equipment, experience and willingness to manage in snow crossed
with the latest snow reports around late March.  If you don't have
experience, equipment or the willingness then follow Jardin's advice.
Alternatively, if you have experience and equipment such as snow shoes or
cross country skis and the willingness to put up with whatever God throws at
you then head out early if the snow reports are light in late March.  You can
always opt out at Kennedy Meadows and hitch a ride into lovely Bakersfield
for a little R&R while you wait for a late storm to pass through. (I only
plug Bakersfield out of respect for Hacker who lives there!).

Many strong, knowledgeable yet inexperienced thruhikers and section hikers
have managed the southern Sierra in snow in May and enjoyed the beauty of the
snow covered vistas, lack of people and challenges that snow travel comes
with.  Consider and decide.  My experiences were exciting and some of the
highlights of my experiences on the trail.

I found the decision as to when to start to be one of the most difficult of
those that you are required to make on a thruhike plan.  It is not easy to
gauge your mileage/speed capability when you have not long distance hiked
before.  Therefor, how early you start is critical to your chances of success
in thru-hiking.  I'd rather be early and run the risk of having to wait out a
storm somewhere than to start late and miss the opportunity because I find my
pace to be such that I cannot finish.

For a section hike, the timing is not so critical, of course, unless your
time is restricted for other reasons.

In my most humble opinion,

Greg "Strider" Hummel