[pct-l] trekking poles

The night before we left on the PCT I decided to follow Jardine's advice
and at the last minute left my poles behind.  Big mistake.

When we hiked the CDT both Sara and I used poles, as did every other CDT
through hiker we encounterd that year. Yes, its just an opinion, but they
made a huge difference.  Even on day hikes we never go without them.  Our
knees felt MUCH better (we also took more Advil regularly), they seriously
help pull yourself up steeps (okay, to the PCT is graded and not close to
the CDT, but I loaned poles to my brother who did the JMT this summer.  He
and his friend put them away in a storm but quickly realized how much
slower they were moving up the pass and pulled them out again), and they
really help you to keep speed (and dry feet) when stream crossing and
moving over snow patches.

Okay, so I did get clumsy once or twice and tripped over the tips but they
saved many more potential falls (Sara fell much less with the poles).  It
really just takes getting used to and finding a rythem.  The only time they
can be a hassle is in a freezing storm when you want your hands nice and
cozy in your pockets.
So our vote is a definite in favor of the poles.  We think the majority of
people will get over the stereotype that they are a crutch and nearly all
hikers(as it is in Europe already) will use them once they have tried them
out.

Dan Rufner
Acting Assistant Director, UCSD Outdoor Recreation
UCSD Outback Adventures
9500 Gilman Drive, 0004
La Jolla, CA 92093-0004
(858) 534-9665