Re: [nct-l] First law of hiking

Ryan, and others, first an intro I'm Duane McDougall a 45 year old hiker
from Oscoda Mi. I'm also on the greatlakes hiker list so some folks know me
from there. Now as to the NTC, of course you need advertizing. I know very
little about it and I live and hike right here in Mi. Question: How much of
the trail is now done ? If say the Mi portion is done and people thru-hike
it that would get around. Look at the shore to shore of course it's closer
to me but most hikers in this area know about it even though it's mainly a
horse trail. And if say the UP portion is done and people thru-hike it that
again would get publicity. I would be interested in the UP section myself ,
but I've heard that it's not marked well and easy to get lost on with all
the snowmobile trails. All these things take time, the points you bring up
are valid, and it sounds like you have a good start with  your organization.
With more and more use on the most popular trails the less known trails will
get more use, and of course more and more people are hiking now. One of my
goals is to thru-hike a long trail when I retire. I mainly think ACT or PCT
, but in 10yr when I retire if those trails are crowded I may instead hike
the NTC for a less crowded experience. Forgive my rambling, I don't bring up
much new just thought I could get some discussion going...Duane