Re: [nct-l] intro

Paul,

I am a newcomer to this list, also.  I just joined the Baw Beese Chapter, in
Hillsdale County.

The president of our chapter called me on Friday night to welcome me.  We
talked some about how to reach people about the trail, etc.  Our club has
sent out flyers to schools, churches, etc. trying to promote the trail and
our club.  Unfortunately, Hillsdale County isn't exactly an athletic mecca,
so it's hard to recruit people.

I, too, am going to spread the word about our wonderful trail!  I work at a
school, so I'm going to campaign to get more people involved.

We could make the North Country Trail great, but we do need the help and
most of all, the money.  Our local chapter has applied for grants and such,
but it's not a guarantee that we're going to get the money.  If there's any
ideas out there about raising money and awareness, I'd like to know so I can
pass it all on to our president and other members.

Happy trails,

Kelli
wagesk@dmci.net

At 06:40 PM 11/7/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Anyone out there on this new list?  I just subscribed and am eager to get
>the dialogue going.
>
>By way of introduction, I am a member of the Western Michigan Chapter.  I
>edit their newsletter and web page, join in with trail work, and have been
>known to lead the occassional hike.  All of my NCT hikes to date have been
>in MI.  Two years ago I thru-hiked the Manistee National Forest section.
>
>I'm particularly interested in building the organization (How do we attract
>more new, active members?  Diverse membership?).  I'm also interested in
>seeing the quality of trail work improved and standardized.  I grew up in
>southern NY and have been amazed at the quality of trails in that populated
>region.  I'd like to see the same for MI.
>
>I'll spread the word about this list on another list for hikers and
>backpackers in the Great Lakes Region to see if we can't get things off to
>a good start.
>

>Paul Haan
>Michigan Benchmark hiking info
>http://my.voyager.net/jacobjans
>
>"The clearest way into the Universe
>is through a forest wilderness."
>				-John Muir
>

>* From the North Country Trail List |  http://www.backcounty.net  *

Cowboy Up - Even When You've Got A Broken Heart!

Do you like to hike?  Do you live in NY, PA, OH, MI, WI, MN, or ND?  If so
join the North Country National Scenic Trail, go to:
www.northcountrytrail.org to join!

* From the North Country Trail List |  http://www.backcountry.net  *

To:            nct-l@backcountry.net