[nct-l] Introduction

.  My name is Pat Loomis I live in Michigan I'm a member of the North
Country Trail  Association and I maintain several miles of trail in my area=
.
I'm joining this list because I am very interested in our trail.  I would
like to see the entire trail certified in my lifetime and this might be one
more forum to advance this dream.

I'm sending this message is to see how the subject line reads so I can set
my filters accordingly!  One last thing, can anyone give me an idea how man=
messages a day this list generates?

--MS_Mac_OE_3059987876_231706_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [nct-l] Introduction</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#FFFFFF">
Greetings Pat,<BR>
<BR>
Since you are in Michigan, I thought I would pass along the following info =
on a large timber sale that will cut near the NCT in your state in the Hiawa=
tha NF. Thought you might like to know.<BR>
<BR>
Kirk Johnson<BR>
Allegheny Defense Project<BR>
P.O. Box 245<BR>
Clarion, PA &nbsp;16214<BR>
(814) 223-4996<BR>
kjohnson@alleghenydefense.org<BR>
http://www.alleghenydefense.org<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"5"><FONT FACE=3D"Palatino">Interior Wetlands Project Set Timber S=
ale<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Palatino">Hiawatha National Forest, Michigan<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
The Interior Wetlands Project Set Timber Sale on the Hiawatha National Fore=
st in Michigan will impact a total of 31,200 acres. The sale would log 28.5 =
million board feet on over 4,814 acres, with the majority being clearcut. Th=
ere would be 3 miles of permanent roads built, 24.6 miles of temporary roads=
 built, and the reconstruction of 2.1 miles and the obliteration of a mere .=
1 miles of existing roads. Additionally, the sale calls for the removal of 3=
48 acres from &quot;old growth designation,&quot; while only adding 223 acre=
s to that designation. <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
The large area that the timber sale encompasses is mostly wetland forest, b=
ut also consists of upland and dry forest types. &nbsp;In the area, there is=
 an unprotected roadless area. &nbsp;Though it will not be logged, it will b=
e affected by the massive amount of logging and road-building that will occu=
r. &nbsp;As the area is bordered by the North Country National Scenic Trail,=
 the local tourism economy will most certainly be negatively affected by thi=
s project.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
The Forest Service has not done an adequate analysis of this project. The s=
ale makes up roughly half the yearly output of timber the Hiawatha has logge=
d since 1997 (approx. 50 million board feet). An appeal of the sales decisio=
n was upheld because the regional forester decided the Forest Service had no=
t completed a thorough analysis. On re-issuing the sale, the Forest Supervis=
or has failed again to properly analyze the effects of the sale. &nbsp;A pro=
ject of this magnitude should be analyzed in a full Environmental Impact Sta=
tement<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
The Forest Service is using a spurious threat of fire to justify logging an=
d clearcutting. &nbsp;In the Environmental Assessment (EA), the Forest Servi=
ce outlines some of the goals of the project, such as reducing the risk of c=
atastrophic fires. However, the majority of the sale is located in a wetland=
 forest where catastrophic fires are highly unlikely. <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
The Forest Service is also selectively using the Endangered Species Act to =
promote clearcutting. For example, when discussing the impacts of the activi=
ties on endangered species, the Forest Service fails to do a thorough analys=
is of the affects on the gray wolf, an endangered species. The EA only claim=
s that the area will still be remote after the project is through. &nbsp;How=
ever, the EA speaks a great deal to the Kirtlands Warbler. The reason that t=
he Forest Service did not do an analysis of the wolf but focused on the warb=
ler is because the wolf needs wild natural areas to survive and the Kirtland=
s warbler favors naturally burned jack pine forests. &nbsp;The Forest Servic=
e is attempting to mimic warbler habitat by clearcutting and then replanting=
 the area with tree plantations. <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Furthermore, the Forest Service has not analyzed the affects that logging w=
ill have on other species of birds such as the northern goshawk and red shou=
ldered hawk. These species are the Forest Service's own Management Indicator=
 Species (MIS) and the National Forest Management Act (NFMA) requires both a=
 population viability analysis and monitoring data.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Please help stop the Interior Wetlands Project Set Timber Sale by contactin=
g Chief Michael Dombeck (202) 205-1661 and urge him to cancel the sale.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
For more information contact Frank Ambrose, American Lands Alliance<BR>
<BR>
(812) 337-1631; mailto: <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>fambrose@bloomingon.in.us<=
/U></FONT> <BR>
<BR>