[nct-l] west MI thoughts

You must mean AT here.  The NCT doesn't go through VA.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan Bowles [mailto:bowles_ryan@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2001 1:40 PM
To: nct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [nct-l] west MI thoughts

Here in Charlottesville, Virginia (a few miles from the NCT), we are
building a 20-mile semi-wilderness trail surrounding the city.  The
cooperation from landowners has been wonderful, and we find that we have

more trail to build than time to build it.  So, what we do is build the
best
trail we can with the limited time, with a plan that when we get a
chance,
we will go back to perfect the trail.  If some major problem comes up on
section, we take time out from the trail building to do needed trail
rebuilding.  This system has worked out extremely well, and we have
added
several miles of new trail already this year, while taking care of two
major
trail rebuilding needs- one from erosion of the temporary steps to get
over
a culvert, the other from the destruction of switchbacks by an ATV.

I think that the WMi chapter (and other chapters) could follow a similar

plan- build the best trail you can now, which would involve two tracks,
with
plans to fix the trail in the future.  If you have the manpower to fix
the
trail now, do it, but otherwise leave it until the manpower is
available.

BTW, this is essentially how the AT worked- originally it took the
fastest,
easiest route, such as roads and straight-up-straight-down sections.
The
rerouting of the trail has now been ongoing for over 50 years.

Ryan

>My partner and I went for a ramble on the Lowell section of the NCT
today
>to make up for the fact that we missed the mass parade on Trails Day.
As
>is often the case, as I walked this section I got to thinking about
trail
>building strategies.
>
>A couple of things came to mind that I thought I would share with this
>list.  First, I am very proud of my fellow club members, especially
Paula
>and Doug Wilbur, for their work on this section.  It is a beautiful
piece
>of trail.  We saw wild turkey, a nesting turtle, a profusion of wild
>flowers (the patches of purple phlox were amazing!), and a nice variety
of
>song birds.
>
>But we also found a high-impact campfire right on the trail, complete
with
>car tire tracks, a soiled t-shirt and nearly a dozen Bud and Bud Light
beer
>cans within throwing distance of the fire pit (why is it that slobs
usually
>drink Anheuser-Busch products?).  It was a real shame, but something I
>think can be easily solved by the hiking community.
>
>You see, the slobatorium was located on the only small section of the
NCT
>in the Lowell State Game Area where the trail follows an old two-track.
So
>Julie and I scattered the fire scar, covered its remains with duff, and
>picked up the beer cans and assorted dreck.  Then we talked about how
the
>trail could easily avoid the two-track.
>
>Why is it that we in Michigan (and elsewhere?) often chose to follow
>two-tracks with the NCT, even when on public lands like state game
areas?
>Doesn't this just welcome trouble (and slobs) to our trail?  Why would
we
>want to be affiliated with all the problems that two-tracks entail
(illegal
>dumping, Anheuser-Busch slobs, illicit behavior, paint ball, target
>practice, deer entrails, snowmobiles, ORVs, etc.--activities prohibited
in
>state game areas, but widely practiced)?
>
>This is not to mention that two-tracks typically do not make for
>sustainable trail given their low footpath, compacted soil, and
drainage
>problems.
>
>Just this past April I joined more than a dozen volunteers with the
Western