Re: [ft-l] Dan Smith

The trail section below Oasis Ranger Station to Loop Road originally
started out as a compass hike for those who wanted to do that type of hike.
 The only blazes we originally had were a line of blazes along the tramway
facing toward the north.  This was a 1/4 wide length section of blazes.
This was to indicate to the compass hike to stop walking south and follow
the tramway east (the only high ground thru Roberts Strand.  Anyone that
went futher south of these blazes were in a deep strand.  Blazes were then
placed south of the strand to Sawmill Road.  Sawmill Road eventually took
you out to Loop Road.  There was no blazes on Sawmill Road since the Road
was easy to follow (especially since there were still board still on the
road).  We also had a side trail out to the Environmental Education Center
on Loop Road.  This was later abandoned since so few people used it.

Back to the main trail down from Oasis Ranger Station.  So, many people
started to walk the same path as the previous hikers, that a clear trail
was defined.  It was expected that those going by compass would make a
different path each time and not have anything that looked like a trail.
We then had people using the path as a trail.  A few people went off the
wrong way (because they did not use a compass).  So, the trail was blazed
down to the tramway.  As far as I know, it was never officially part of the
FT or FNST.  It was just another place to hike.

Daryl Wells
past Section Leader of  Section 1 - Big Cypress