Re: [ft-l] Dan Smith

In a message dated 12/20/99 10:46:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
D_Blick@email.msn.com writes:

> What do the rest of you think?

What we capture and cherish in our memories are not those effortless trail
days when everything goes well, but those moments of adversity that test our
mettle.  I read Nimblewill Nomad's account and it heightened my desire to
thruhike the FT, not scare me away.  Every long distance hiking experience
has its share of challenges.  Those on the FT are unique to it and we should
not fear that thruhikers will find them too difficult.  It will have its own
niche.  It won't be for everyone -- thank goodness! -- but let's not rush to
eliminate the few natural obstacles that a Florida hike has -- and should
have!

My own FT memories after about 250 miles of experiences are of washed out
bridges, rotting stiles, clear cuts leaving me clueless where the trail was
supposed to be, thigh deep mud, etc.  I most certainly don't want the FT to
be simply a long rails to trails project easy enough for an 8 year old to
hike.

The place where I encountered the thigh deep mud was where the trail follows
the utility easement just west of Highway 427 in Longwood.  There is a dirt
road alongside that would have allowed me easily to avoid the obstacle, but I
wanted to hike the blazes, and I did.  It wasn't fun, but I hike for more
than fun.  I want adventure, challenges.  I want to see if I can do it, not
take some easy way out.

Nimblewill Nomad's journey of ten million steps was enhanced, not diminished,
by the obstacles he overcame.  His book will be a joy to read, I'm sure, and
we should be proud that that tough first day is such a gripping read.

Ever the optimist,

Solar Bear

To:            ft-l@backcountry.net