[ft-l] Dan Smith

As you may know, Dan Smith of Dan Smith and Karen Berger fame (numerous trail
books to their credit) is hiking the FT this year.  He started at Loop Road
about December 9.  He reported walking through waist deep water.*  We (Jon
Phipps & I) were to pick him up on SR 60 on December 21.  However, he called
last Thursday to report that he was off the trail and heading home early for
his planned Christmas break.  He had poison ivy so badly over both feet that
he was risking a massive infection.  He'll be back January 1 and picking up
where he left off, near Clewiston.

He plans to write a couple of articles and perhaps a book about the FT.  His
spirits were still up, but he was heading to the doctor to get some help in
getting rid of the poison ivy.

*about that water--I guess I can ask this question and risk the flames I'm
apt to get, but WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE WE DOING PUTTING IN A TRAIL WHERE
PEOPLE (in what seems to be a "normal" year) ARE WALKING IN WAIST DEEP
WATER??????  Don't we need to re-think that section below Oasis?  Nimblewill
Nomad's journal of that section is even worse.  We are endangering folks
calling that kind of swimming a trail.

On my soapbox,
Joan
bluetrail@aol.com